A US naval strike force led by an aircraft carrier was in Middle Eastern waters on Tuesday as Iran vowed to hit back against any strike and President Donald Trump said he believed the Islamic republic still wanted talks.
Washington has not ruled out new military intervention against Tehran over its crackdown on protests, which saw over 3,000 killed within days, according to Iranian media.
A strike group led by the USS Abraham Lincoln has now arrived in Middle Eastern waters, US Central Command said, without revealing its precise location.
Since Iran earlier this month launched the crackdown on protests accompanied by a blanket internet blackout, Trump has given mixed signals on intervention.
βWe have a big armada next to Iran. Bigger than Venezuela,β Trump told the Axios news site, weeks after US military action resulted in the capture of the Latin American nationβs president Nicolas Maduro.
But he added: βThey want to make a deal. I know so. They called on numerous occasions. They want to talk.β
Axios said Trump declined to discuss the options presented to him by his national security team, or which one he prefers.
Analysts say options include strikes on military facilities or targeted hits against the leadership under Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in a full-scale bid to bring down the system that has ruled Iran since the 1979 revolution that ousted the shah.
The New York Times, meanwhile, reported that Trump has received multiple US intelligence reports βindicating that the Iranian governmentβs position is weakeningβ and signalling its hold on power βis at its weakest pointβ since the shahβs fall.
US Senator Lindsey Graham told the paper he had spoken with Trump in recent days about Iran and that βthe goal is to end the regimeβ.
βThey may stop killing them today, but if theyβre in charge next month, theyβll kill them then,β he added.
Iranian officials have over the last days appeared wary of pouring oil on the fire.
Tehran has in the past said a channel of communication is open between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and US envoy Steve Witkoff, despite the lack of diplomatic relations between the two foes.
But the Hamshahri conservative newspaper on Tuesday quoted Revolutionary Guards spokesman Mohammad Ali Naini as saying that βif their aircraft carrier made a mistake and entered Iranian territorial waters, it would be targetedβ.
The conservative Javan newspaper said Iran was βready for a major responseβ and would seize the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a key transit hub for energy supplies.
Meanwhile, an anti-US billboard has appeared in Tehran that appears to show an American aircraft carrier being destroyed.
Rights groups have described the crackdown as the deadliest ever against protests in Iran and warn compiling tolls has been complicated by an almost three-week internet blackout that they say is aimed at masking the extent of the repression.
A statement by Iranβs foundation for veterans and martyrs, cited by state television, has said 3,117 people were killed during protests which first erupted in late December.
The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has claimed that thousands of people have been arrested.
βSecurity agencies continue to pursue an approach centred on mass arrests, intimidation, and control of the narrative,β HRANA said.
Activists have accused authorities of raiding hospitals to find injured protesters and then arresting them. The health ministry has said all people should present themselves at hospital without worry and not treat themselves at home.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!