Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar on Saturday said that a new committee was being formed to investigate the issue of missing persons in the country.
Addressing the 6th Asma Jahangir Conference in Lahore, the law minister said that while the number of missing persons had reduced over the years, a lower number was still not satisfactory. He said that another committee was now being formed to look into the issue of missing persons in more detail.
Speaking on past data on missing persons, Tarar said, βThe recorded number β¦ was nearly 10,000 citizens. A commission was formed on this, committees were made β¦ parliament played a role; over the years, this number has reduced. Itβs now reportedly 2600-something. But I understand that in terms of human rights, this number should be zero.β
He added that in the past, as a stopgap arrangement, the federal government had introduced a relief package for the families affected.
He clarified that βthis package did not mean the case would be closed; that was to mitigate the miseries of the familyβ.
According to the minister, the package contained not only financial support but a βmechanism to solve all the legal complicationsβ of the disappearances, including allowing the victimsβ bank accounts to be operated and sorting out issues of distribution of inheritance.
βAfter working for about a year and a half, we gave this policy package, and now we are going to implement it. So, alongside it, we are making another committee that will look at these issues in more detail.β
Tarar also said that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif himself was βvery concernedβ over the issue.
He added that in some cases, those who died in terrorist attacks and encounters were found to include individuals listed as missing persons.
βWe cannot rule out that those who voluntarily disappeared and joined banned groups are also part of that list,β he said. βHaving said so, we are working with full seriousness on the issue, and we will keep updating you.β
The law minister further shared βgood newsβ, saying that the governmentβs βlong-awaited desireβ to establish an independent commission for minorities had been legislated.
βThis process has started. It will come to parliament,β he said.
The law minister added that cases of blasphemy via the use of social media platforms were βa point of concern for all of usβ.
βThe government took it very seriously,β he said. βWe worked on it: we made monitoring tighter.β
He highlighted the sharp reduction in the number of blasphemy cases in 2025 compared to previous years, saying, β2025 has been a sigh of reliefβ.
According to the minister, only 34 cases were reported over the last year, as compared to β180 and 200 cases a yearβ in previous years. He expressed his hope for further improvement in this regard.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!