US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has ordered the withdrawal of about 5,000 troops from Germany within the next year, the Pentagon said on Friday, in the latest rift in transatlantic ties over the Mideast war.
The move came as US President Donald Trump announced that tariffs on cars and trucks from the European Union will increase to 25 per cent next week, accusing the bloc of not complying with a trade deal inked last summer.
Trump has renewed criticism of German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said on Monday that Iran was βhumiliatingβ Washington at the negotiating table. Trump said Merz βthinks itβs OK for Iran to have a Nuclear Weapon. He doesnβt know what heβs talking about!β
On Wednesday, the American leader said Washington was βstudying and reviewing the possible reductionβ of US troops in Germany, and that he would decide in a βshort period of timeβ. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a Friday statement that βWe expect the withdrawal to be completed over the next six to twelve months.β
βThis decision follows a thorough review of the Departmentβs force posture in Europe and is in recognition of theater requirements and conditions on the ground,β Parnell added.
During both of his terms in office, Trump has made a number of threats to slash US troop numbers in Germany and other European allies, saying he wants Europe to take on greater responsibility for its defence rather than depending on Washington.
Trump on Friday accused German automakers like Mercedes-Benz and BMW of ripping off Americans, saying that Germany and βother European nations have not adhered to our trade dealβ.
Germany would likely be hit hard by a sharp vehicle tariff, as it is responsible for a significant portion of EU auto exports.
Trump now appears determined to punish allies who have failed to back the war or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz waterway, which Tehranβs forces have effectively closed.
On Thursday, Trump said he may pull US troops from Italy and Spain due to their opposition to the war, telling reporters in the Oval Office: βItaly has not been of any help to us and Spain has been horrible, absolutely horrible.β
βYeah, probably, I probably will. Why shouldnβt I?β Trump said.
As of December 31, 2025, there were 12,662 active-duty US troops in Italy and 3,814 in Spain. In Germany, there were 36,436.
Speaking during a visit to Morocco, German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said on Thursday that Germany was βpreparedβ for a reduction in US troops and was βdiscussing it closely and in a spirit of trust in all Nato bodiesβ.
While saying he was βrelaxedβ about the idea of fewer US troops in Germany, Wadephul said that large American bases in Germany are βnot up for discussion at allβ. He said for example that the Ramstein Air Base had βan irreplaceable function for the United States and for us alikeβ.
The EU said on Thursday that the deployment of US troops in Europe was in Washingtonβs interest, and that the United States was βa vital partner in contributing to Europeβs security and defenceβ.
Trump meanwhile took aim at Merz again, telling him to focus on ending the Ukraine war instead of βinterferingβ on Iran.
European powers have been on alert since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, and a spate of drone incursions in the last year β as well as US promises to move away from defending the continent β have pushed the issue to the top of the agenda.
Merz has made national security a priority, announcing unprecedented investments in an army that has been underfunded and under-equipped for decades.
He has also reaffirmed support for Ukraine, for whom Germany has been the second-largest individual supplier of aid after the US.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!