United States Senator Lindsey Graham called on Sunday for renewed military action against Hamas and Hezbollah if they fail to disarm and accused the Palestinian group of consolidating its power in Gaza.
The Republican politician, on a visit to Israel, is a staunch ally of US President Donald Trump.
Beginning in October, a fragile ceasefire has so far halted two years of war between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip despite both sides trading accusations of truce violations.
A separate ceasefire between Israel and Lebanonβs Hezbollah also came into effect in November 2024 after more than a year of hostilities, though Israel continues to carry out strikes on Lebanese territory.
Israel has made dismantling the arsenals of both groups, allies of its arch-foe Iran, a key condition for any lasting peace.
βItβs imperative we come up with a plan quickly, put Hamas on a time clock, give them a period of time to achieve the goal of disarmament,β Graham said at a press conference during his visit. βAnd if you donβt, I would encourage President Trump to unleash Israel to go finish off Hamas.
βItβs a long, brutal war, but you cannot be successful anywhere in the region until you deliver on dealing Hamas out of the future of Gaza and disarming them,β Graham added, insisting that the second stage of the truce would fail if Hamas remains armed.
βNinety days after the ceasefire, they are consolidating power in Gaza.β
Graham also called for military engagement against Hezbollah if it too does not surrender its weapons.
βIf Hezbollah refuses to give up their heavy weapons, down the road we should engage in military operations working with Lebanon, Israel and the United States, where we fly with Israel β¦ to take Hezbollah out,β Graham said.
The Lebanese government has begun to disarm Hezbollah, starting in the countryβs south, and insists it will complete the plan. Israel, however, has questioned the effectiveness of the Lebanese military, while Hezbollah itself has repeatedly refused to lay down its weapons.
Grahamβs remarks came a day after mediators the US, Qatar, Egypt and Turkiye urged both sides in the war on Gaza to uphold the ceasefire.
The mediators are pressing for the implementation of the second phase of the truce, which would involve an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, the deployment of an international stabilisation force and the establishment of an interim authority to govern the territory in place of Hamas.
The second phase of the Gaza truce also envisages the demilitarisation of the territory, including the disarmament of Hamas.
Graham backed Israelβs opposition to Turkiye being included in the stabilisation force, saying it would βrock Israel to its coreβ.
βThere is no political support anywhere in Israel for having Turkiye being involved in the stabilising force,β he said.
Hamas, meanwhile, has called on the mediators and Washington to stop Israeli violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.
On Sunday, Israeli artillery shelling was reported in several parts of Gazaβs southern area of Khan Yunis, according to the civil defence agency, which operates under the authority of Hamas.
On Friday, six people, including two children, were killed in an Israeli bombing of a school serving as a shelter for displaced people, according to the agency.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!