UN agency chiefs seek end to war rules violations in Middle East

UN agency chiefs seek end to war rules violations in Middle East
Health

Listen to this article

0%

GENEVA: UN agency chiefs on Saturday demanded an end to impunity for widespread international law violations in the Middle East, as casualties pile up six weeks into the war unleashed by US-Israeli strikes on Iran.

In a joint statement, the heads of multiple United Nations agencies said they were β€œalarmed by the sustained violations of the rules of war and international humanitarian law” in the region.

β€œEven wars have rules, and these rules must be respected,” the statement from the UN Inter-Agency Standing Committee said.

The joint statement β€” penned by UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher along with the heads of the UN agencies for human rights, health, food, refugees and children among others β€” decried the soaring toll since the Middle East war erupted on February 28.

β€œIn just the last month across the Middle East, thousands of civilians have been killed and injured. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced, many multiple times,” it said.

Development comes six weeks into war triggered by US-Israeli strikes on Iran

β€œThe numbers continue to rise and essential services are increasingly difficult to access.

β€œHealth workers, hospitals and ambulances have been targeted. Schools have been struck. Civilian infrastructure β€” including bridges, residential buildings, houses, water facilities and power plants β€” has been destroyed,” it said.

The agency chiefs voiced particular concern about the impact on β€œwomen and children and others with specific needs”, as well as on global supply chains, β€œwith food and fuel prices on the rise”.

At the same time, they highlighted that β€œour humanitarian colleagues have been caught up in the hostilities”.

Just since the beginning of this year, they said, β€œ14 aid workers have been killed or injured in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, eight in Iran and five in Lebanon”.

β€œThis is an alarming toll.”

The agency chiefs said they β€œstrongly condemn all attacks on civilians, including humanitarian and health workers, as well as civilian objects”.

β€œWe demand that all parties β€” whether Member States of the United Nations or armed groups β€” respect their legal obligation to protect civilians, including humanitarian personnel, and civilian infrastructure,” they said.

β€œAll violations must be met with accountability. β€œ

Published in Dawn, April 12th, 2026

Leave A Comment

Comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Comments

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Stay Connected