Five people were killed in an armed clash on the border between Tajikistan and Afghanistan, Tajik state media said on Thursday.
Citing a statement by the Border Troops of the Tajik State Committee for National Security, state news agency Khovar reported that three people crossed into the country late on Tuesday in the Shamsiddin Shohin district of the countryβs southwestern Khatlon region, and were later located on Wednesday.
βThe terrorists refused to obey orders from Tajik border guards to surrender and offered armed resistance. They intended to carry out an armed attack on one of the border posts of the Border Troops of the State Committee for National Security of the Republic ofΒ Tajikistan,β the statement said.
βAs a result of the combat operation, all three terrorists were neutralised,β the statement said, adding that two Tajik border officers were killed during the clashes.
According to the statement, this was the third βarmed attack, terrorist act, and border crossingβ from Afghanistan in the past month.
It also accused the Afghan government of βdemonstrating serious and repeated irresponsibility and non-commitment in fulfilling its international obligations and consistent promises to ensure security and stabilityβ on the Tajik-Afghan border.
The Tajik statement additionally expressed hope that the Afghan administration will βapologise to the people ofΒ TajikistanΒ and take additional effective measures to ensure security on the border withΒ Tajikistanβ.
Afghanistan did not immediately comment on the development.
Earlier this month,Β TajikistanΒ said five people were killed and five others injured in two previous cross-border attacks from Afghanistan.
On Wednesday, Tajik President Emomali Rahmon commissioned four new border outposts, as well as a training range for tanks at the Harb-Maidon training ground near the Tajik-Afghan border, as part of efforts to bolster border security amid growing concerns over cross-border attacks.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!