Iranβs Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei on Saturday vowed revenge for the US-Israeli killing of his father and predecessor, hours after President Donald Trump warned against any attempt to assassinate him.
Both sides dialled up the rhetoric after exchanges of fire this week rocked an interim agreement aimed at ending their war, which broke out on February 28 with massive US-Israeli strikes.
Trump has declared their ceasefire over, while mediators have been trying to salvage diplomacy, with Iranian media reporting that a delegation from Qatar travelled to Iran on Friday.
βVengeance is the will of our nation and must inevitably be carried out,β Mojtaba Khamenei wrote in his first message since his father Ali Khameneiβs funeral this week.
He became Iranβs supreme leader after his father was assassinated by US-Israeli strikes on the first day of the war. He has not been in public since before the war.
βThis matter depends neither on my personal existence nor on that of other officials. Whether we are present or not, it will come to pass,β he wrote in his first message since his fatherβs funeral this week.
He said Iran had compiled a list of individuals to be targeted.
Hours earlier, Trump had posted on his Truth Social platform that any attempt to assassinate him would lead the United States to βcompletely decimateβ Iran.
β1000 Missiles are Locked and Loaded and aimed at the Islamic Republic of Iran, with thousands of more to immediately follow, should the Iranian Government act on its threat, pronounced in many corners of the Globe, to assassinate, or attempt to assassinate, the sitting President of the United States of America, in this case, ME!β Trump wrote.
βOrders have already been given, and the US Military is ready, willing, and able, for a one year period of time, subject to extension, to completely decimate and destroy all areas of Iran.β
With both nations stepping up their threats, mediators have been working to bring diplomacy back on track.
Iranβs Tasnim news agency reported on Friday that a Qatari delegation was visiting Iran to βtry to reinforce Qatarβs role as a mediatorβ.
Trump has said talks with Iran will continue but has labelled them βa waste of timeβ.
Iranβs Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi meanwhile insisted Tehran had stuck to its end of the bargain after the two sides signed the Pakistan-mediated Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on June 18.
Tehran βhas so far kept its wordβ, he said. βReality check: There can only be mutual compliance.β
This weekβs exchange of strikes was sparked after Iran was accused of targeting three vessels it said had deviated from its approved route.
The attacks prompted Washington to launch a heavy round of bombing in Iran, hitting around 90 targets across the country, according to the US military.
The US strikes killed 17 people, Tehranβs health ministry said on Saturday, and injured 115 more. They also triggered a wave of reprisals by Iran against US-allied countries in the Gulf that host American military bases.
US and Iranian delegations have held one round of high-level direct talks in Switzerland since the signing of their MoU, as well as indirect negotiations in Qatar earlier this month, but there has been no sign of diplomatic progress since.
A key roadblock to a final deal is the future of the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran closed to commercial shipping during the war in retaliation for US-Israeli strikes.
The waterway is a key conduit for oil and gas exports out of the energy-rich Gulf countries, and its closure has heavily impacted the world economy.
Iran insists on controlling the passage of ships and has announced plans to charge fees, saying there will be no return to the free navigation of the pre-war era, which Washington has rejected.
Under customary international law, states are not generally permitted to charge tolls on straits used for international navigation.
Araghchi on Saturday arrived in Oman, which sits on the other side of Hormuz, for talks on administering the strait.
News outlets Axios and Politico reported that Washington has given Tehran until Saturday to stop firing on commercial ships transiting Hormuz and acknowledge the waterway is open.
Despite being one of the Gulf nations targeted during the war, Qatar has spearheaded efforts to get diplomacy back on track.
Aside from the Qatari delegation visiting Iran, Qatarβs emir on Friday held a call with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, according to the latterβs office.
PM Shehbaz said he had also spoken with Iranβs President Masoud Pezeshkian, urging him to safeguard the βhard-earned peaceβ in the region.
But Iranβs chief negotiator in talks with Washington, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, struck a defiant tone.
βEnding the war is a priority for the countries of the world, but everyone must know that this confrontation will never end with Iranβs surrender,β Iranβs ISNA news agency quoted him as saying.
Iranians, he said, were βfully prepared to defend ourselvesβ.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!