Iran reviewing US response to 14-point proposal: state media

Iran reviewing US response to 14-point proposal: state media
Business

Listen to this article

0%

Tehran said on Sunday that the United States had responded to its 14-point proposal via Pakistan and that it was reviewing the response, according to Iranian state media.

β€œAt this stage, we do not have nuclear negotiations,” an Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson said, according to state media.

Earlier, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said Washington faced a choice between an β€œimpossible” military operation or a β€œbad deal” with Tehran, after US President Donald Trump disparaged Iran’s latest peace proposal.

Negotiations between the two countries have been deadlocked since a ceasefire, brokered by Pakistan, came into effect on April 8, with only one round of direct peace talks held in Islamabad so far.

Iran’s Tasnim and Fars news agencies reported that Tehran had submitted a 14-point proposal to mediator Pakistan, but Trump was quick to cast doubt on it.

β€œI will soon be reviewing the plan that Iran has just sent to us, but can’t imagine that it would be acceptable in that they have not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done to Humanity, and the World, over the last 47 years,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.

US news website Axios reported, citing two sources briefed on the proposal, that it set β€œa one-month deadline for negotiations on a deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, end the US naval blockade and permanently end the war in Iran and in Lebanon”.

Separately, Al Jazeera reported, citing sources, that the proposal envisaged three main stages, aiming to β€œtransform the ceasefire into an end to the war within 30 days”.

According to the report, the proposal β€œenvisions a pledge of nonaggression, including from Israel, to ensure there’s no return to war and an end to fighting throughout the Middle East”.

It said the proposal suggested the gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz in the first phase, as well as lifting of the US blockade of Iranian ports.

Under the proposed plan, Tehran would take charge of dealing with sea mines, the report said.

It added that the second phase was proposed to include β€œIran’s return to uranium enrichment after the time limit at 3.6 per cent in accordance with the β€˜zero-storage principleβ€™β€œ.

Moreover, the plan includes the US and Israel refraining from attacking Iran and its allies in exchange for Iran refraining from launching strikes, the report said, adding that Iran had also rejected β€œdismantling nuclear infrastructure or destroying Iran’s facilities”.

β€œLifting sanctions includes the gradual release of frozen funds,” it said.

In the third phase, Tehran proposed to enter β€œinto a strategic dialogue with Arab neighbours and building a security system that includes the entire Middle East”, the report stated.

β€˜Impossible operation’

In a statement on Sunday, the Revolutionary Guards sought to put the onus back on Trump, saying he must choose between β€œan impossible operation or a bad deal with the Islamic Republic of Iran”.

β€œThe room for US decision-making has narrowed,” they said.

The day before, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi told diplomats in Tehran that β€œthe ball is in the United States’ court to choose the path of diplomacy or the continuation of a confrontational approach”.

Iran, he said, was β€œprepared for both paths”.

β€˜If they misbehave’

In a brief interview with reporters in West Palm Beach, Florida, on Saturday, the US president declined to specify what could trigger new American military action.

β€œIf they misbehave, if they do something bad, but right now, we’ll see,” he said. β€œBut it’s a possibility that could happen, certainly.”

Mohsen Rezaei, a military adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, said Iranian forces would sink US ships.

β€œThe US is the only pirate in the world that possesses aircraft carriers. Our ability to confront pirates is no less than our ability to sink warships. Prepare to face a graveyard of your carriers and forces,” he posted on X.

His remarks came after Trump, while addressing a rally in Florida, compared the US action in the sea to that of pirates. β€œWe’re like pirates” as he described an earlier helicopter raid on an oil tanker under the US blockade of Iranian ports.

β€œWe … landed on top of it, and we took over the ship. We took over the cargo, took over the oil. It’s a very profitable business,” he remarked.

Axios reported earlier in the week that Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff had asked for Tehran’s nuclear programme to be put back on the negotiating table.

But Iran’s mission to the UN pointed to the massive US nuclear arsenal, accusing Washington on Saturday of β€œhypocritical behaviour” towards Iran’s own atomic ambitions.

Leave A Comment

Comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Comments

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Stay Connected