Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Saturday he hoped talks with the United States would resume soon, while reiterating Tehranβs red lines and warning against any American attack.
According to excerpts published on his official Telegram channel during an interview with the Al Jazeera network, Araghchi said that Iranβs missile programme was βnever negotiableβ in Fridayβs talks in Oman.
He warned that Tehran would target US bases in the region if the US attacked Iranian territory.
However, Araghchi also said that despite the talks in Muscat being indirect, βan opportunity arose to shake hands with the American delegationβ.
He called the talks βa good startβ, but added that building trust would take time. He said the talks would resume βsoonβ.
US President Donald Trump on Friday called the talks βvery goodβ and pledged another round of negotiations next week.
Despite this, he signed an executive order effective from Saturday that called for the βimposition of tariffsβ on countries still doing business with Iran.
The United States also announced new sanctions against numerous shipping entities and vessels, aimed at curbing Iranβs oil exports.
More than a quarter of Iranβs trade is with China, with $18 billion in imports and $14.5bn in exports in 2024, according to World Trade Organisation data.
Araghchi told Al Jazeera that nuclear enrichment was Iranβs βinalienable right and must continueβ.
βWe are ready to reach a reassuring agreement on enrichment,β he said. βThe Iranian nuclear case will only be resolved through negotiations.β
He also said Iranβs missile programme was βnever negotiableβ because it relates to a βdefence issueβ.
Washington has sought to address Iranβs ballistic missile programme and its support for proxies in the region β issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks, according to media reports.
Tehran has repeatedly rejected expanding the scope of the negotiations beyond the nuclear issue.
Fridayβs unprecedented talks between the two arch enemies came amid a major US military buildup in the region in the wake of Iranβs crackdown on protests that began in late December, driven by economic grievances.
Aragchi warned that Iran βwill attack their (US) bases in the regionβ if Washington targets Iranian territory.
The negotiations were the first since nuclear talks between Iran and the United States collapsed last year following Israelβs unprecedented bombing campaign against Iran, which triggered a 12-day war.
During the war, US warplanes bombed Iranian nuclear sites.
Araghchi told Al Jazeera that if attacked again, βwe will attack their bases in the regionβ, referring to the United States.
At Fridayβs talks in Oman, the US delegation was led by Trumpβs Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and his influential son-in-law Jared Kushner.
βIn a very positive atmosphere, our arguments were exchanged and the views of the other side were shared with us,β Araghchi told Iranian state TV after the talks, adding that the two sides had βagreed to continue negotiationsβ.
Speaking to the official IRNA news agency, Araghchi expressed hope that Washington would refrain from βthreats and pressureβ so that βthe talks can continueβ.
On Saturday, Araghchi criticised what he labelled a βdoctrine of dominationβ that allows Israel to expand its military arsenal while pressuring other states in the region to disarm.
He was speaking at the Al Jazeera Forum conference in Qatar, but in his speech did not refer to Fridayβs talks in Oman with the United States.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!