India proposes requiring smartphone makers to share source code with the government and make several software changes as part of a raft of security measures, prompting behind-the-scenes opposition from giants like Apple and Samsung.
The tech companies have countered that the package of 83 security standards, which would also include a requirement to alert the government to major software updates, lacks any global precedent and risks revealing proprietary details, according to four people familiar with the discussions and a Reuters review of confidential government and industry documents.
The plan is part of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modiβs efforts to boost the security of user data as online fraud and data breaches increase in the worldβs second-largest smartphone market, with nearly 750 million phones.
IT Secretary S. Krishnan told Reuters that βany legitimate concerns of the industry will be addressed with an open mindβ, adding it was βpremature to read more into itβ.
A ministry spokesperson said it could not comment further due to ongoing consultation with tech companies on the proposals.
Apple, South Koreaβs Samsung, Google, Chinaβs Xiaomi and MAIT, the Indian industry group that represents the firms, did not respond to requests for comment.
Indian government requirements have irked technology firms before.
Last month, it revoked an order mandating a state-run cyber safety app on phones amid concerns over surveillance. But the government brushed aside lobbying last year and required rigorous testing for security cameras over fears of Chinese spying.
Xiaomi and Samsung β whose phones use Googleβs Android operating system β hold 19 and 15 per cent, respectively, of Indiaβs market share and Apple 5pc, Counterpoint Research estimates.
Among the most sensitive requirements in the new Indian Telecom Security Assurance Requirements is access to source code β the underlying programming instructions that make phones work. This would be analysed and possibly tested at designated Indian labs, the documents show.
The Indian proposals also require companies to make software changes to allow pre-installed apps to be uninstalled and to block apps from using cameras and microphones in the background to βavoid malicious usageβ.
βIndustry raised concerns that globally security requirement have not been mandated by any country,β said a December IT ministry document detailing meetings that officials held with Apple, Samsung, Google and Xiaomi.
The security standards, drafted in 2023, are in the spotlight now as the government is considering imposing them legally. IT ministry and tech executives are due to meet on Tuesday for more discussions, sources said.
Smartphone makers closely guard their source code. Apple declined Chinaβs request for source code between 2014 and 2016, and U.S. law enforcement has also tried and failed to get it.
Indiaβs proposals for βvulnerability analysisβ and βsource code reviewβ would require smartphone makers to perform a βcomplete security assessmentβ, after which test labs in India could check their claims through source code review and analysis.
βThis is not possible β¦ due to secrecy and privacy,β MAIT said in a confidential document drafted in response to the government proposal, and seen by Reuters.
βMajor countries in the EU, North America, Australia and Africa do not mandate these requirements.β
MAIT asked the ministry last week to drop the proposal, a source with direct knowledge said.
The Indian proposals would mandate automatic and periodic malware scanning on phones.
Device makers would also have to inform the National Centre for Communication Security about major software updates and security patches before releasing them to users, and the centre would have the right to test them.
MAITβs document says regular malware scanning significantly drains a phoneβs battery and seeking government approval for software updates is βimpracticalβ as they need to be issued promptly.
India also wants the phoneβs logs β digital records of its system activity β to be stored for at least 12 months on the device.
βThere is not enough room on device [sic] to store one-year log events,β MAIT said in the document.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!