Condemnations poured in on Sunday after suicide attack in Quetta claimed more than 10 lives and left several others injured, with global actors expressing solidarity with Pakistan.
The attack targeted a shuttle train, with images following the blast showing a mangled train carriage on its side as people clambered over the wreckage to find survivors.
People could be seen carrying blood-soaked victims on stretchers away from a derailed car, while security personnel stood guard.
Images from the scene also showed burnt-out vehicles, damaged residential buildings and twisted metal and debris scattered near the railway track, with smoke rising from the wreckage.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack in separate statements, expressing the resolve to continue the fight against terrorism.
Condemnations poured in from others as well, with the Chinese embassy in Pakistan extending βdeep condolences to the deceased victims and sincere sympathies to the bereaved familiesβ.
βWe firmly oppose any form of terrorism and will, as always, firmly support Pakistan in combating terrorism and protecting the safety of the people. We stand firmly with our Pakistani brothers and sisters at this moment,β the embassyβs statement on X said.
UK High Commissioner Jane Mariott said she was βabsolutely appalledβ by the attack.
βOur thoughts and prayers are with the martyrs and their families,β Mariott wrote in a post on X.
Meanwhile, the Russian embassy in Pakistan condemned the attack, expressing hope that the perpetrators would be βidentified and brought to justiceβ.
βWe extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims and wish all those injured a speedy recovery,β the embassy further said in a post on X.
The Turkish foreign ministry, condemning the attack, said: βWe are deeply saddened by the loss of lives caused by the terrorist attack targeting a passenger train today (May 24) in Balochistan.
βWe strongly condemn this heinous attack, wish Godβs mercy upon those who lost their lives, and extend our condolences to their families and to the people of Pakistan.β
It emphasised that such attacks targeting the peace and stability of the region were βutterly unacceptableβ and reiterated Turkiyeβs βsolidarity with Pakistan in the fight against terrorismβ.
Australian High Commissioner Timothy Kane also expressed solidarity with Pakistan.
βDeeply saddened by the tragic terrorist attack in Quetta,β Kane wrote on X, saying that Australia stood with Pakistan βat this difficult timeβ.
βWe extend heartfelt condolences to those who lost loved ones and wish a full and swift recovery to those who were injured,β he said.
The Afghan foreign ministry also issued a condemnatory statement, saying βthe killing and wounding of civilians, whether by anyone and in any form, is condemnableβ.
In his condemnation, KP Chief Minister Sohail Afridi expressed βheartfelt sympathyβ and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
βThis cowardly incident of terrorism is a heinous crime against humanity,β he said.
PPP Senator Sherry Rehman also condemned the attack, terming it an act of βgrisly brutalityβ.
βInnocent citizens, so far mostly women and children, have lost their lives in this act of grisly brutality. They were travelling for Eid,β the PPP leader said in a post on X.
She continued: βPakistan has borne many such tragedies with courage and resolve to fight back. But who are the perpetrators of such shameful crimes that target innocent citizens?β
She warned that as more details surface, βall the sponsors of such terrorism will be exposed,β however, she warned that perpetrators should know that Pakistani citizens had βspines of steelβ.
βWe are probably the most resilient people on this earth. We have won many counter-terrorism battles before; we will win this war, too. Again and again,β Rehman said.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!