Dar says Pakistanis injured in Houthi attack in Red Sea have returned safely

Dar says Pakistanis injured in Houthi attack in Red Sea have returned safely
News

Listen to this article

0%

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Thursday that six Pakistani sailors injured in an attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea earlier this month have returned to Pakistan.

The Aug 11 attack had targeted a Tanzania-flagged vessel, Tihamah, causing deaths and injuries among its crew. At the time, Dar had said that 3 nationals were killed and that reports had been received of one other being injured.

In a post on X on Thursday, DPM Dar said, “The six Pakistani sailors injured in the recent Houthi attack on a Tanzanian-flagged commercial vessel have safely returned to Pakistan, while the mortal remains of the two Pakistani sailors who tragically lost their lives have also been repatriated.”

“All relevant stakeholders have been directed to ensure their safe, dignified and expeditious repatriation.”

He appreciated the role of the Consulate General of Pakistan in Jeddah and the Pakistani Embassy in Riyadh for facilitating the return and repatriation from Yemen in the absence of a Pakistani diplomatic mission in the country.

He also lauded the efforts of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in facilitating the arrival and cooperation of the Saudi Foreign Ministry regarding “medical assistance and arrangements provided in Jeddah”.

Dar reiterated Pakistan’s condemnation of the attack and stated that “safety and security of seafarers must be ensured at all times”.

“We remain committed to extending all possible assistance to the injured sailors and the bereaved families.”

More to follow

Leave A Comment

Comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Comments

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Stay Connected