An Afghan national accused of shooting two National Guard members will be charged with first-degree murder, a US official said Friday, after one of the soldiers died of her wounds as Donald Trump pledged to suspend migration from βthird-world countries.β
The announcement marks an escalation in charges facing the assailant, identified as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who the US media said was part of the βZero Unitsβ β a CIA-backed Afghan paramilitary force.
βThere are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree,β Jeanine Pirro, the attorney for Washington, DC, told the Fox News programme βFox & Friendsβ.
βIt is a premeditated murder. There was an ambush with a gun toward people who didnβt know what was coming.β
Pirroβs announcement comes after Attorney General Pam Bondi pledged on Thursday to βseek the death penaltyβ against Lakanwal, describing him as a βmonster.β
Pirro said Lakanwal opened fire with a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver on a group of guardsmen on patrol just a few blocks from the White House on Wednesday, the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday.
Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old West Virginia National Guard member deployed in the US capital as part of Trumpβs crackdown on crime, died from her wounds, the president said on Thursday. He said the other soldier wounded in the attack, 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, was βfighting for his lifeβ.
βWe still have hope,β Pirro said of Wolfe. βHeβs still in critical condition. We are doing everything we can to assist his family.β
The shooting has brought together three politically explosive issues: Trumpβs controversial use of the military on American soil, immigration, and the lingering legacy of the 20-year conflict in Afghanistan β Americaβs longest war.
Late on Thursday, Trump pledged on Truth Social to βpermanently pauseβ migration from βall Third World Countriesβ and threatened to reverse βmillionsβ of admissions granted under his predecessor Joe Biden, in a new escalation in his anti-immigration stance.
When asked which specific nationalities would be affected, the US Department of Homeland Security pointed AFP to a list of 19 countries β including Afghanistan, Cuba, Haiti, Iran and Myanmar β facing US travel restrictions under a previous order from Trump in June.
Separately, Joseph Edlow, Trumpβs director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), said on Thursday he had ordered a βfull-scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern.β When asked to specify the countries, the USCIS referred AFP to the same list of 19 countries.

More than 1.6 million US green card holders, roughly 12 per cent of the total permanent resident population, were born in the countries listed, according to the latest immigration data available on the agencyβs βEligible to Naturalise Dashboardβ analysed by AFP.
Afghanistan, which has over 116,000 green card holders, is also affected by a total halt of immigration application processing, ordered by the Trump administration after the shooting.
CIA director John Ratcliffe said the suspect, Lakanwal, had been part of a CIA-backed βpartner forceβ fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.
He added that he had been brought to the United States as part of a program to evacuate Afghans who had worked with the agency after the Taliban toppled the American-backed government in 2021.
Lakanwal had been living in the western state of Washington with his family and had driven across the country to the capital, officials said.
The heads of the FBI, CIA and Homeland Security and other senior Trump appointees all insisted that Lakanwal had been granted unvetted access to the US because of lax asylum policies in the wake of the chaotic final US withdrawal from Afghanistan under former president Biden.
However, AfghanEvac, a group that helped resettle Afghans in the US after the military withdrawal, said they had undergone βsome of the most extensive security vettingβ of any migrants.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!