Federal cabinet approves drafts of two bills related to military, nuclear command structure

Federal cabinet approves drafts of two bills related to military, nuclear command structure
Health

Listen to this article

0%

ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet approved on Thursday the drafts of two bills pertaining to the military and nuclear command structure.

A statement released by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) following a federal cabinet meeting in Islamabad said the drafts of the Defence Forces Act, 2026 and amended National Command Authority Act, 2010 had been approved.

The statement said the Defence Forces Act’s draft had been prepared in continuation of the tweaks made to the Constitution under the 27th Amendment and β€œaims to determine the relevant administrative matters regarding the office of the Chief of Defence Forces and the Chief of Defence Forces Headquarters”.

Regarding amendments to the National Command Authority Act, the statement said it was β€œa necessary process” following the 27th Constitutional Amendment.

It said both drafts will be presented in Parliament for approval during its ongoing session, which was summoned by President Asif Ali Zardari around a week ago and began on August 17.

The 27th Constitutional Amendment, enacted in November last year, fundamentally altered Pakistan’s higher defence architecture by abolishing the office of the Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee and creating the new position of chief of defence forces, concurrently held by the chief of army staff.

Field Marshal Asim Munir became the country’s first chief of defence forces following the constitutional changes.

The Amendment also resulted in the creation of the Commander of the National Strategic Command (CNSC) post, a four-star office that oversees the operational integration of Pakistan’s strategic forces.

Last month, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had promoted Gen Syed Aamer Raza from the rank of lieutenant general and simultaneously appointed him as the country’s first CNSC.

Following his appointment, amendments in the National Command Authority Act, 2010, which still reflects the pre-27th Amendment military hierarchy, are needed.

PM again extends olive branch to opposition

The federal cabinet meeting also saw a renewed offer for talks to the opposition by PM Shehbaz. In televised remarks, he said the government was ready for β€œmeaningful” parleys with the opposition and again invited them for talks.

The government had always expressed its willingness for talks with the opposition, he added.

β€œI once again invite the opposition for talks from this forum […] to support Pakistan’s economic progress and to strengthen democracy.

β€œBut it takes two to tango. Now it’s on them how soon they agree for constructive dialogue,” he added.

The government and the opposition have been at odds since the 2024 elections, after which the PTI had demanded a judicial commission to probe May 9, 2023, and November 26, 2024 protests.

The 2023 protests were held across the country after PTI founder and former prime minister Imran Khan was arrested and the 2024 demonstration in Islamabad was held to demand his release. Both protests had turned violent.

The scope of sticking points between the two sides has widened in the following period, including PTI founder Imran Khan’s health.

However, the government, including the prime minister, has repeatedly urged the PTI-led opposition to engage in dialogue.

PM Shehbaz’s invite for the talks today is the latest one, and it came merely days after Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal Chaudhry told the opposition during a Senate session that the government’s offer for dialogue remained on the table.

The minister said, β€œThe solution lies in seriousness,” and called on the opposition to agree on a time and venue for negotiations.

The same day, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar and Chaudhry met the opposition leader in the National Assembly, Mahmood Khan Achakzai, and the leader of the opposition in the Senate, Allama Raja Nasir Abbas, in the NA opposition leader’s chamber.

The two sides discussed the appointment of the chief election commissioner, the country’s political situation and mutual political matters, according to a statement issued by the spokesperson of the opposition alliance Tehreek Tahafuz Ayeen-i-Pakistan (TTAP).

The two sides agreed to continue the meetings, the spokesperson said.

Later, Chaudhry said while speaking on Geo News show β€˜Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath’ that Achakzai had written a letter to the prime minister seeking a β€œconstitutional consultative meeting”. The parliamentary affairs minister expected that the prime minister would respond in the β€œnext two days”.

These developments take place as the PPP β€” an ally of the PML-N in the Centre β€” has established formal contact with the PTI amid a rift in the ruling coalition over the recently held Azad Jammu and Kashmir elections.

Reduction in diesel price

In his address to the federal cabinet, the prime minister noted that the diesel price had been reduced by around Rs32 per litre as a result of efforts by the petroleum ministry.

β€œThis is good news,” he said, mentioning the disruption in fuel supply due to the situation in the Strait of Hormuz β€” the maritime passage for one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supply in peacetime β€” amid the US-Israeli war on Iran.

He recalled that when the war began, the federal government β€œtook a hit of Rs128 billion by cutting down its budget for the Public Sector Development Programme” to provide relief to the people. After that, the provinces also got involved and contributed to this relief, he added.

He requested that relief continue to be provided wherever possible to the common man, as the region was suffering from the current situation β€” particularly Pakistan, being a net importer of energy.

β€œWe hope that the situation will improve in the coming days and weeks. For this purpose, Pakistan’s efforts continue unabated,” PM Shehbaz said.

The premier also said that an app had been launched for traders regarding retailers. He said that the FBR had been given β€œvery clear” instructions that if anyone attempted to harass traders regarding this plan that they had agreed to, they should be prepared for β€œstrict and severe punishment”.

He thanked Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, Minister of State for Finance Bilal Azhar Kiani and their team responsible for bringing this scheme to traders for the first time.

He said that IT exports were increasing, highlighting an 18 per cent increase in July and congratulating the IT minister, IT secretary and the whole team for this β€œgreat achievement”.

Additionally, he highlighted that Google’s new office in Pakistan had been inaugurated, saying, β€œAlongside introducing digital initiatives in every sector, we are making efforts to digitise governance in its entirety. Google’s participation will greatly benefit us in this process.”

PM Shehbaz said the government was β€œready for meaningful dialogue” with the opposition, again inviting them to sit down and resolve matters through discussions β€œso that Pakistan’s economic development and democracy can be strengthened”.

He added, β€œBut it takes two hands to clap. Now it is up to them how quickly they are ready for constructive dialogue.”

Leave A Comment

Comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Comments

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Stay Connected